Built in 1849-52 as the Second Presbyterian church, this magnificent edifice was originally topped with a sixty-foot steeple. Visible for miles up and down the river, the spire stood as a symbol for the city and a beacon for fugitive slaves seeking refuge here. Removed following a 1915 lightning strike, the steeple has been replicated thanks to a community-wide fundraising effort, and will be lifted back into place.
The Town Clock Church (Second Baptist Church) was known for helping slaves fleeing for their freedom prior to and during the tumultuous Civil War period. The church, and its congregation were actively engaged in the hiding, feeding, medical care and transportation of slaves from area of danger to freedom. Church records and court documents have also revealed that the pastors of Second Presbyterian baptized, married and buried African Americans. The church steeple, visible across the river in Kentucky by slaves being shipped down south, was widely recognized by the community as a beacon of hope for freedom seekers escaping the bonds of slavery. In 1915, when lightning struck the steeple and destroyed it, the spire was not replaced.
Time: 9:00 AM
Location: Second Baptist Church, 300 East Main Street, New Albany
Sponsor: Friends of the Town Clock Church; Second Baptist Church; Develop New Albany
For more information please visit www.townclockchurch.org