The third phase of New Albany’s commitment to the Ohio River Greenway Project is set to begin this July. The Ohio River Greenway Project was designed to help provide better access for the public to view and enjoy the seven-mile stretch of the Ohio River and its riverfront amenities by creating a linear park connecting the communities of New Albany, Clarksville, and Jeffersonville.
The third phase of New Albany’s commitment will coincide with construction by Clarksville to complete the connection between the two communities across a renovated bridge over Silver Creek, which the City of New Albany helped in acquiring for the project. Clarksville’s construction, including the renovation of the bridge over Silver Creek, which for years has been a stumbling block towards the final completion of the project, is set to be let in July. Between Clarksville’s new construction and New Albany’s third phase of the project, the new developments total an investment of over $10 million towards reconnecting residents of southern Indiana to the Ohio River. The third section of New Albany's portion of the project is an 80/20 match. INDOT funds cover 80% of the project cost and New Albany is responsible for the other 20%. Construction is estimated to take approximately 1.5 years.
"The imminent completion of the Greenway, after decades of planning, is an extremely exciting time for the citizens of New Albany. We are proud to have been able to initiate the final steps in bringing the Greenway to completion," said Mayor Jeff Gahan.
As part of our commitment to the project, the City of New Albany purchased the area surrounding and including the Loop Island Wetlands. This area is a major component of the Greenway and a major asset for the City of New Albany. Not only will the Greenway project go directly through the site, creating more recreation, fitness, and economic opportunities, but plans are underway to protect the rich, natural beauty of the land by creating a nature preserve area. The area offers wonderful views of the natural beauty and wildlife contained in the area. The nature preserve, in addition with other beautification efforts on site, will create a beautiful space to relax and reconnect to our roots as a river community.
You can read more about the history of the Loop Island Wetlands by clicking HERE.
In addition to the recreational and nature preserve aspects, the Loop Island Wetlands area has immense uses with regards to Flood Control and water mitigation. With the purchase, the City assumed control of a few buildings in the area, including the former Moser Tannery. These buildings are currently being evaluated by a structural engineer to determine future viability or usage for development and restoration, as appropriate.